Continuing my series “Cookies Inspired by TV Shows and Movies,” today we are making 3 ingredient shortbread cookies for Ted Lasso! These shortbread cookies could not be easier to make but will make anyone happy (especially if they’re delivered in a little pink box)!
Ted Lasso is one of my favorite shows so I was so excited to make these cookies. If you’ve never seen Ted Lasso, it is about an American football coach that gets hired to coach an English football (soccer) team. It is heartwarming and funny and so entertaining. As for where the shortbread cookies fit in, Ted brings a little pink box of shortbread cookies into the owner of the soccer team each day. Needless to say the owner loves the cookies, just like you will love mine haha.
ingredients needed for 3 ingredient shortbread cookies
- 1 cup salted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- turbinado sugar (optional)
how to make these shortbread cookies
Start by adding the butter to a bowl. If the butter isn’t already softened, put it in the microwave for 10-20 seconds until soft. Then stir the butter until it is the texture of mayo. Add the sugar and stir until combined. Add the flour and stir again. The dough will look really shaggy, but should come together. It should stick together if you smush it into a ball, but will break apart easily when you split it.
Transfer the dough to an 8×8 (or similar size) pan lined with parchment paper. Use your fingers or the back of a measuring cup to smoosh the dough until it is uniform throughout the pan. Transfer to a 350 F oven and bake for 30-40 minutes.
When the shortbread is still warm, sprinkle a handful of turbinado sugar across the top. This is an optional step, but it really completes the look and gives a great crunch on top! Still while the shortbread is warm, slice the shortbread (if you are using a pink box, make sure you cut them so the will fit in the box). Let the shortbread cookies cool completely in the pan. Then enjoy the sweet bite of your shortbread cookies!
other recipes you will love
- double chocolate cookies
- gilmore girls coffee cake cookies
- ginny and georgia chilled peach pie cookies
- parks and rec waffle cookies
3 ingredient shortbread cookies
- 1 cup salted butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 260 grams
- 2 tbsp turbinado sugar optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Add the softened butter to a medium mixing bowl. Stir the butter until smooth, like the texture of mayo. Add the sugar and mix until combined.
- Add the flour and stir until combined. The dough will be a bit shaggy but will stick together if you squeeze it together.
- Transfer the dough into a parchment paper lined 8×8" baking dish (it doesn't have to be 8×8", but something similar in size). Smoosh the dough down with your fingers or the back of a measuring cup until its evenly spread out in the pan.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, until the edges are just starting to brown. While the shortbread is warm, sprinkle the turbinado sugar across the top (optional). Then while it is still warm, slice the shortbread. If you are trying to fit them into a box, slice them accordingly.
- Let the shortbread cool in the pan and then enjoy!