For part two of my series “dinner for 2,” we are making bbq zucchini boats! These zucchini boats are the perfect easy dinner for two. They can also be prepped and cooked later!
These zucchini boats are made by cutting the zucchinis in half, scooping out the seeds, then filling them with a bbq chicken stuffing. The stuffing is a simple mixture of chicken, bbq sauce, onions, garlic, chicken, and cilantro.
Here are a few tips for this recipe:
- You can use any kind of chicken you want, but I usually use canned chicken because it is easy and takes no prep.
- You can also use any kind of bbq sauce you want. Mixing up the bbq sauce can really change the flavor of these!
- If you are going to meal prep these, make them all the way until you bake them, aka the zucchinis are raw and stuffed. Cover the pan with plastic wrap, then when you are ready to eat them, switch the plastic wrap with tin foil and pop them in the oven.
If you need other dinners for 2, check out part one of this series, creamy tuscan salmon!
bbq zucchini boats
- 2 zucchinis
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 12.5 oz can of chicken
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400. Cut the zucchinis in half and scoop out all the seeds. Chop the onion into small pieces and add to a pan with olive oil and garlic over medium heat.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes until onions are tender. Transfer to a large bowl and add chicken, cilantro, cheese, bbq sauce, cilantro, garlic salt, and black pepper.
- Line a 9×13 pan with tin foil and spray with a bit of olive oil spray. Place zucchinis in pan, cut side up. Fill each zucchini, using up all the filling. Top with a little extra cheese.
- Cover the pan with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes. Take the tin foil off and bake an additional 15 minutes. Let the boats cool for 5-10 minutes, then top with extra cilantro and enjoy!
Leave a Reply