Ever since Chipotle has added sofritas to their menu, I’ve been obsessed, so I had to recreate it with this copycat Chipotle sofritas! This dish is super easy to make and uses only household ingredients. Also, if you don’t know what sofritas is — it’s Chipotle’s plant based option made from tofu and spices, and it is delicious.
I cannot think about Chipotle without thinking of that old vine where the little boy says, “oh my gosh, I love chipotle…chipotle is my lifeee.” Well, I say that too and you probably will as well when you try this copycat chipotle sofritas!
Also, this recipe makes enough for 1 person. So if you are feeding more than that, double or triple accordingly!
copycat chipotle sofritas
- 1/2 block of tofu
- 1 tomato or 1/2 cup canned tomato
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/8-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper depending on spice tolerance
- Press your tofu for 10 min if you have time! To do this, wrap it in a cloth or some paper towels and put it in between two plates. If you can, weigh down the top plate with something heavy. This helps get extra moisture out of the tofu, but isn’t essential if you don’t have time.
- Chop the tomato into small pieces. Warm up a pan with the olive oil. Break the tofu into chunks and add it to the pan. Let it cook for about 5 minutes until it starts to brown. At this point, add the tomato, cumin, garlic salt, onion powder, and cayenne pepper.
- Stir and break the tofu into smaller pieces with the spatula. Cook it all down for about 5 minutes, until most liquid has evaporated.
- That’s it! Enjoy while it’s hot! I served mine with greens, brown rice, fresh tomato, and cilantro.