We are well into soup season and this eggplant and tomato soup needs to be added to your rotation. It is packed with vegetables and is so flavorful.
If you’ve never really known what to do with eggplant, here is your answer! Eggplant is definitely not as popular a vegetable, but it really is delicious. They are cheap and can be bought at any grocery store, and really add a lot of flavor to this soup. However, eggplant is not the dominate flavor of this soup. The tomatoes for sure steal the show in terms of flavor, which is helped by the tomato paste we add, but the eggplant adds an amazing depth of flavor that standard tomato soup doesn’t have!
what ingredients will i need for this soup?
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- italian seasoning
- tomato paste
- vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- milk / coconut milk
- fresh basil
This recipe can so easily be made vegan! Instead of adding milk, add coconut milk instead. This will still create the creaminess that we want, but stays vegan!
blender vs immersion blender
Once the vegetables have been roasted and the other ingredients have been added, the soup can either be blended using a blender or an immersion blender. If you only have one or the other, just use what you’ve got! If you have both, here are my thoughts on the differences between them.
Using a good blender will give you a smoother soup. If you don’t like your soup to have any chunks in it then a blender is the best option! If you want more control on how chunky your soup is, the immersion blender is a better option. It is easier to control the amount the soup blends and so you can keep it on the slightly chunky side! I like my soup a little chunkier so I used an immersion blender!
If you absolutely hate eggplant, you can leave it out. It will make me slightly sad, but I’ll forgive you. If you do decide to leave out the eggplant, replace it with more tomatoes. Then you will have a normal tomato soup! It will still be delicious and will work great.
other recipes you will love
- bacon sweet potato soup
- salmon chowder
- autumn harvest bowl
- apple, sage, and caramelized onion grilled cheese
- zupas ultimate grilled cheese
eggplant and tomato soup
- 3 cups tomatoes
- 2 cups eggplant
- 1 yellow onion
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1 cup milk or coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 425. Cut the tomatoes, eggplant, and onion into 1 inch chunks. The eggplant does not have to be peeled. Transfer them all to a large oven safe baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil, and top with a pinch of salt and pepper. Bake for 35-45 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- Transfer the vegetables to a blender, or to a large pot if you are using an immersion blender. Add garlic, italian seasoning, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, tomato paste, vegetable broth, and fresh basil. Blend until smooth.
- If you used a blender, transfer the liquid to a pot. Transfer the pot to a stove over medium low heat. When the soup starts to heat up, add the milk and stir until the milk is combined. Leave the stove on until the soup is heated to your desired temperature.
- Divide into bowls and enjoy!