For day 10 of my “12 Days of Thanksgiving Recipes” we are making healthier spinach artichoke dip! Every Thanksgiving needs a good appetizer, and this is it. It’s cheesy, flavorful, and actually has quite a bit of protein!
If your Thanksgivings are anything like mine, then people start to get really hungry while they’re waiting for all the food to finish cooking. So it’s perfect to have a warm appetizer ready that people can snack on while they wait! Plus since this is a healthier spinach and artichoke dip, it isn’t as heavy / filling so you’ll still be ready to eat your heavy dinner!
what ingredients do i need?
- artichoke hearts
- frozen spinach
- greek yogurt
- cottage cheese
- mozzarella cheese
- parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- red pepper flakes
You can use fresh spinach if you’d like, but fresh spinach cooks down SO FAST. You would need a lot of fresh spinach to get 10 oz of cooked down spinach. So, frozen spinach is much easier, and is very cheap! It’s definitely the better option for this recipe.
can i make this ahead of time?
Another tricky thing about Thanksgiving is figuring out oven timing! Usually there are too many warm dishes that need oven space. So if you don’t have the oven space to make this appetizer day of, don’t stress. This dip can be baked the day before, then kept in the fridge. Then, when you’re ready, just heat it up in the microwave! It keeps well and reheats great, so you’ll be good to go.
the less healthy version of this healthier spinach artichoke dip
If you don’t care for the healthier version, you can easily make this a more traditional spinach artichoke dip! Instead of using greek yogurt and cottage cheese, use cream cheese (1 cup) and mayonnaise (1/2 cup). This will give you a creamier, heavier dip.
other recipes from my 12 days of thanksgiving recipes
- turkey cranberry sliders
- butternut squash, kale, and farro salad
- apple cider donuts
- apple, cheese, and hot honey pull apart bread
- pear, apple, and celery salad
- pumpkin stuffed french toast
- maple dijon roasted carrots
- thanksgiving snack mix
- apple blondie cheesecake bars
healthier spinach artichoke dip
- 14 oz artichoke hearts
- 10 oz frozen spinach
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp shallot finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 300F. Add spinach to a bowl. Microwave at 30 sec intervals until the spinach is thawed. Squeeze all the water off the spinach. We don’t want any extra liquid!
- Drain the artichoke hearts and chop into bite sized pieces. Mince the shallot and garlic.
- Add the green yogurt, cottage cheese, mozzarella, parmesan, artichoke hearts, spinach, shallots, garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to a bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a greased oven safe dish. Top with a handful of extra mozzarella (optional).
- Cook in the oven for 15-20 min, until mixture is heated through and cheese starts to brown. Enjoy while it’s hot with crackers, chips, or veggies!