I will be eating this pesto honey grilled cheese non-stop for the rest of the year. It is salty, slightly sweet, and cheesy — the best combination! It will quickly become your new favorite grilled cheese!
If you are unsure about the combination of pesto and honey, I get it, but please trust me. We are just adding a thin layer of pesto and a drizzle of honey, so it’s subtle, but adds so much flavor! And it pairs so well with the cheese. Please just trust me and try this one out!
ingredients needed for pesto honey grilled cheese
- bread (i love brioche)
how to get the perfect grilled cheese
If you want a perfect, golden brown grilled cheese, there are a few things you need to do. The first thing to consider is the bread you use. I sometimes love to use a multigrain bread for grilled cheese, but it won’t give you the perfect golden brown crust like the one in the picture. The best bread to use for a golden brown finish is a light white bread. I love using brioche or sourdough. They both toast up beautifully and have such a great flavor! I especially love brioche with the pesto and honey — the brioche is slightly sweet and pairs perfectly with all the flavors.
The next tip is to not skimp on the butter! Butter is your friend so make sure to add plenty to each piece of bread (just on one side). The last thing to do is make sure you’re cooking your grilled cheese over a lower heat. If the heat is too high, the bread will brown before the cheese melts so you’ll be left with either a burnt grilled cheese or golden brown bread but unmelted cheese. So the best way to cook it is over medium low heat. It will take a bit longer but it’s worth it for that perfect grilled cheese!
other grilled cheese recipes you’ll love
- apple, sage, and caramelized onion grilled cheese
- jalapeño popper grilled cheese
- pulled pork and apple grilled cheese
- caramelized onion grilled cheese
pesto honey grilled cheese
- 4 slices brioche bread (or any other bread)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp pesto
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 cup shredded cheese (i like sharp + white cheddar)
- Spread 1/2 tbsp of butter on one side of each slice of bread. Flip all the slices over. Add pesto and honey to two pieces of bread, adding 1/2 tbsp pesto and 1 tsp of honey to each.
- Pile the shredded cheese on top of the pesto + honey. Place the other slices of bread, butter side up, onto each sandwich.
- Transfer the sandwiches to a pan over medium low heat. Flip once the bread toasts up golden brown and the cheese begins to melt. If the cheese isn't melting, you can top the pan with a lid to speed up the process.
- Remove from the pan when both sides are golden brown and the cheese is all melted. Enjoy while it's hot!