For day 6 of my “12 Days of Thanksgiving Recipes” we are making pumpkin stuffed french toast! You’ll be hooked after one piece of this french toast stuffed with a smooth, pumpkin-y mascarpone filling.
French toast is certainly a superior breakfast food and stuffed french toast is even better. If you’ve never had it before, you take a thick slice of bread (I love using brioche), slice it along the bottom, and pipe a filling inside! The filling gets warm and it is really just magical.
Last year I posted a recipe for pumpkin cinnamon rolls and suggested they be eaten for breakfast on Thanksgiving morning. A LOT of people commented and said they don’t eat any breakfast on Thanksgiving — they fast until dinner! I am definitely not one of those people. I think breakfast should get just as much love on Thanksgiving. But if you are one of those anti-Thanksgiving-breakfast people, you could eat this french toast the day before Thanksgiving! I don’t care when you eat it, just make sure you try it.
ingredients needed for this pumpkin stuffed french toast
- brioche bread
- mascarpone cheese
- pumpkin puree
- maple syrup
- pumpkin pie spice
- pecans (optional)
tips and tricks
There are two tricks for this french toast. The first is slicing the bread for the filling. The bread needs to be sliced along the bottom, but it can’t be sliced all the way through. We just want to create a pocket for the filling! So, carefully slice along the bottom, cutting nearly to the top without cutting through.
The second trick is to use mascarpone cheese! Mascarpone cheese is similar to cream cheese, but has a slightly softer taste. If you can’t find mascarpone, cream cheese will work, but use mascarpone if you can!
what to do with remaining pumpkin puree
This recipe only uses 1/4 cup of pumpkin puree, so if you open a can of pumpkin puree you’ll have a lot leftover. Instead of letting it go to waste, here are a few recipes to make to use the rest of it!
other recipes from my 12 days of thanksgiving recipes
- turkey cranberry sliders
- butternut squash, kale, and farro salad
- apple cider donuts
- apple, cheese, and hot honey pull apart bread
- pear, apple, and celery salad
pumpkin stuffed french toast
- 8 slices brioche bread
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese room temp
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- maple syrup
- pecans optional
- Slice each piece of brioche bread along the bottom, making sure to not cut all the way through the bread. Just create a pocket in the bread.
- Add the mascarpone cheese, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, and pumpkin pie spice to a bowl. Mix until combined. Transfer to a piping bag or Ziploc bag with a corner cut off. Pipe about 2 tbsp of filling into each slice of bread.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla. Quickly dip a piece of stuffed bread in the egg mixture, coating both sides. Immediately transfer to a greased pan over medium heat. Cook for 1-2 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Top with maple syrup and pecans and enjoy!