Today we are making Squid Game cookies! If you have seen the news or an fyp page on TikTok, then you’ve likely heard the hype about Netflix’s newest original show, Squid Game. It was released a few weeks ago and is already on track to be the highest viewed Netflix show ever. It is a show unlike any other that is so well-thought out. I am a big fan, as is pretty much everyone else that’s seen it, haha. So, continuing my series “cookies inspired by TV shows and movies,” today we are making Squid Game cookies!
If you aren’t familiar with Squid Game, here are a few details (without spoilers) to give you some context for these cookies! A group of people are brought in and have to compete in a series of games. For one of the games, contestants are given a dalgona candy with a shape in the middle, and they must cut the shape out. The four shapes are triangle, circle, star, and umbrella.
For our cookies, we are making soft sugar cookies with buttercream frosting and piping the shapes on top. I’ve also done the same colors these shapes are shown as in the show (not on the actual dalgona).
Colors have a lot of significance in the show, and blue and red are the most important. I won’t elaborate on this more to give anything away for those that haven’t seen the show, but I wanted to incorporate these colors in the cookies as well. So, I’ve stuffed each cookie with red or blue M&M’s! You can keep track of which cookies have which color or you can leave it up to chance. It’s not an essential part of these cookies, but it is definitely fun!
Another way to have guests enjoy these cookies is to have them try to cut out the shapes! Safely give everyone a knife and have them cut around their shapes. If anyone messes up their shape, they’re eliminated!
The dough for these cookies is a soft sugar cookie dough. It could be rolled out and cut into shapes, but we are just scooping the dough out like normal cookies. The frosting is a simple buttercream that pairs perfectly with the dough! For the different shapes, put a few tablespoons of frosting into 4 different bowls. Add a few drops of food coloring of the four colors to each bowl – blue, yellow, red, and green.
If you love these Squid Game cookies, check out these other cookies from this series!
- Supernatural apple pie cookies
- Parks and Rec waffle cookies
- The Parent Trap peanut butter oreos
- New Girl shortbread cookies
squid game cookies
sugar cookie base
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup neutral oil like vegetable or canola
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 package M&M's optional
- 1/2 cup butter at room temp
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp milk
- red, blue, yellow, green food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 350. Add softened butter, oil, and brown sugar to a bowl. Mix for 2 minutes. Add egg and vanilla and mix again.
- Add flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Mix until dough is just combined.
- Scoop out about 1/2 cup of dough. Flatten it in your hand and add 3-4 M&M's, either red or blue, on the center of the dough. Close the dough around the M&M's and roll it into a smooth ball. Place the dough ball on a lined or greased baking sheet and slightly flatten it with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for 10 minutes. The cookies will look slightly undercooked, but they will set up. Remove from the oven and let the cookies set up on the pan.
- While the cookies cool, make the frosting. Add the butter to a bowl and whip for 2 minutes. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and mix again. Add milk and mix again.
- Add about 2 tbsp of frosting into 4 bowls. Add a couple drops of food coloring to each bowl, a different color in each bowl.
- Add the frosting from each bowl into separate piping bags or ziploc bags. If using a ziploc bag, cut a small hole in the corner. Pipe the following shapes in the following colors, one shape per cookie. – yellow: star– red: triangle– blue: umbrella– green: circle