Next up in my series “the United Plates of America” is breakfast tacos for Texas! These tacos are easy to make but really hit the spot.
When most people think of Texas they think of BBQ, which is fair, but I wanted to do something a little different. Luckily, breakfast tacos are also very popular in Texas and just as delicious!
In 2016 Texas had the “great breakfast taco war” which was a debate / fight between San Antonio and Austin over which city had a better breakfast taco! I don’t know if a clear winner was ever declared, but clearly breakfast tacos are a big deal.
These breakfast tacos are a perfect way to get a filling breakfast, or even dinner! Connor and I had them for dinner and they hit the SPOT. You can obviously add whatever toppings and variations you want, but the combination here is a good one.
If you like this series, check out these other dishes from the series!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup potatoes chopped
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 cup bacon chopped
- 6 eggs
- 6 flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup white onion chopped
- 1 avocado
- green salsa
- Add olive oil to a large frying pan over medium heat. Add potatoes to the pan along with garlic salt, paprika, and chili powder. Sauté until soft, about 5-6 minutes. You can add a splash of water if needed.
- Transfer the cooked potatoes to a bowl, then add the chopped bacon to the same pan. Cook over medium heat until the bacon is cooked through, then transfer to a bowl.
- Warm up the tortillas in a pan. Whisk the eggs in a bowl then cook them until your desired doneness.
- To assemble, add eggs to the tortillas then top with potatoes, bacon, cheese, onions, cheese, avocado, cilantro, and salsa. Enjoy!