This salad is my new summer favorite! It has roasted red peppers, cherry tomatoes, roasted carrots, almonds, prosciutto, chicken, and a lemon basil dressing! It is all so fresh and so yummy.
This salad was inspired by my favorite salad at Mendocino Farms. When we lived in Southern California last summer, Mendocino Farms was one of our favorite places to eat, and this was my fav salad. They called it The Sophisticated Chicken and Prosciutto Salad. So don’t worry friends, this salad is very sophisticated. lolol.
One of my favorite parts of this salad is the roasted red pepper! It adds such a depth of flavor. The quickest and easiest way to get roasted red peppers is to buy them already roasted in a jar. I like the kind from Trader Joe’s, but they are sold in many grocery stores. Here is a link to some on Amazon, if you can’t find any. If you want to make your own, cut your red bell pepper(s) in half and rub with olive oil. Place them on a baking sheet and cook in the oven at 450 degrees for 30-40 minutes, until peppers are slightly charred and soft. If you have extra roasted red peppers, I love using them to make Muhammara!
This recipe also calls for chicken. You can use any cooked chicken, but my favorite is rotisserie chicken. It is so easy and works great with this salad. You could also use canned chicken or any other kind of chicken you’ve got!
Also, lets talk for a minute about the dressing for this salad — this dressing first appeared in my e-book and it is so good that I use it on so many things. And it is perfect for this salad. It is light and fresh, but so flavorful. The dressing calls for 1/2 cup of basil, which really can’t be skipped. It gives so much flavor to the dressing. The cheapest basil I have found is from Trader Joe’s! You can buy a big package of basil for a few dollars. You can also buy basil plants there, but sometimes you just need a big amount of basil and Trader Joe’s has such a large and affordable option!
I hope you enjoy this sophisticated salad! As always, if you make this salad, please share a picture and tag me @thepalatablelife!
CHICKEN & PROSCIUTTO SALAD
- 6 cups greens
- 1/2 lb cooked chicken
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water or chicken broth
- 4 large carrots
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1 roasted red pepper
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
Lemon Basil Dressing
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup basil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. While the oven is heating, peel the carrots and cut into bite sized pieces. Toss carrots with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until carrots are soft and roasted.
- To make the quinoa, bring 2 cups of water or chicken broth to a boil. Pour in quinoa and let boil covered for 15-20 minutes.
- To make the dressing, add the parmesan, lemon juice, honey, garlic, salt, pepper, and basil to a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is a thick paste. With food processor on, slowly add olive oil until dressing becomes smooth.
- Cut tomatoes in half. Cut roasted red pepper into bite size pieces. Crush almonds into smaller pieces.
- To assemble the salad, toss greens with a small amount of dressing, then top with all the goodies — chicken, prosciutto, carrots, almonds, roasted red pepper, tomatoes, and parmesan cheese. Eat immediately.