For day 7 of my “12 Days of Christmas Recipes” we are making chocolate peppermint oreo cookies! These cookies are THICK and perfect in every way. A velvety chocolate dough, with chunks of peppermint oreos and white chocolate chips!
If you know me well you know I LOVE thick cookies. Just look at my raspberry white chocolate cookies or my buried treasure cookies and you’ll see what I mean! These cookies belong in the thick cookie club and they are a solid club member. They are seriously large, like Levain style large! Each cookie is 6oz so they are no joke. Of course, if you want smaller cookies, that’s fine too! I have different size and cooking times listed in the recipe below. Whatever size you choose, you’ll love these.
what ingredients do i need for these cookies?
- brown sugar
- cocoa powder
- baking soda
- crushed peppermint oreos (or peppermint joe-joe’s)
- white chocolate chips
ok, how big are these cookies?
These cookies are no joke. They are a whopping 6 oz each! The best way to measure each cookie is to use a kitchen scale. If you don’t have a kitchen scale, just use a measuring cup so each cookie is consistent! If the cookies aren’t the same size, they won’t bake evenly. If you are using measuring cups instead of a scale, 6 oz is about 3/4 cup!
I know that everyone doesn’t want 6 oz cookies. If you don’t want them this large, you can do 2 oz cookies instead! Without a kitchen scale these will be 1/4 cup cookies. I have the cooking time listed for both cookies listed in the recipe below.
the importance of letting these cookies cool completely
These cookies are really large, so we are cooking them at a high temp! 400 degrees! Because of this high heat, the outside of the cookie cooks quickly, and the inside is still really soft. You can eat these cookies warm, the inside will be really soft and gooey which is delicious, but I actually prefer these cookies once they’ve set up completely! When these cookies have the full time to cool down, the inside sets up completely and you’ve got a dense, soft cookie. OH it’s so good. If you insist on eating them warm, save at least one to cool completely so you can try it! As for the amount of time these cookies need to set up, I would say at least 1 hour, 2+ hours would be ideal. Or you can let them set up overnight! They’re so good the next day.
other recipes in my 12 days of christmas recipes
- whipped feta and hot honey stuffed pears
- wreath cookies
- overnight wheat rolls
- vegan cranberry brown sugar cookies
- cranberry bbq ricotta meatballs
chocolate peppermint oreo cookies
- 1 cup butter cold
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup peppermint oreos (or peppermint joe-joe's) crushed
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In the bowl of a stand mixer combine butter and brown sugar. Mix for 2 minutes until butter and brown sugar are completely combined and fluffier. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until just combined.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Mix until the dry ingredients are just combined. Add crushed oreos and white chocolate chips. Mix until they’re evenly distributed through the dough.
- If you have a kitchen scale, measure out 6 oz of dough. If you don’t have a kitchen scale, measure out 3/4 cup of dough. Form the dough into a cylinder shape. This will help the cookie bake well. Repeat with remaining dough. (If you want smaller cookies, measure out 2.5 oz of dough, or 1/4 cup.)
- Transfer the dough balls to a lightly greased or lined baking sheet. If you’ve made 6oz cookies, bake for 8-9 minutes, until the outside of each cookie is just set. If you’ve made 2.5oz cookies, bake for 5-6 minutes, until the outside of each cookie is just set.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for at least 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Keep any leftover cookies in a sealed container. Cookies will keep for 4-5 days. Enjoy!
Excellent – thank you for sharing. I used plain Oreos as we did not want peppermint. They are so so good.
YAY so glad you loved these!
These were so amazing, they have a great texture!
thank you!! so glad you enjoyed them!!
These are so good!- I used plain Oreos instead of peppermint ones and they are amazing! they are almost a mix of a brownie with a cookie.
yay! i’m so glad you enjoyed them!!
So good! My new favorite cookies, me and my family can’t get enough of them.
YAY this makes me so happy!
Rachael D. says
These cookies were fantastic! We didn’t have peppermint Oreos, so I added 1 tsp of peppermint extract. I used a cookie scoop for the cookie size (about 2.5 ounces per cookie). We ended up with about 16 cookies. Overall, these cookies were amazing! We’ll be making them again and again.
hi! i’m so glad you loved these! and that’s a great idea to use peppermint extract!