This creamy tuscan gnocchi is so easy to make and delicious, making this your new favorite 20 minute dinner! This dish is part of my series “dinner for two,” although this recipe serves anywhere from 2-4 people. If you are serving it as a side dish, it can serve closer to 4 people, but as a main its better for 2!
Gnocchi is one of my favorite forms of pasta – it is soft, it cooks so quickly, and it takes on flavor really well. The gnocchi in this dish especially takes on great flavor, because instead of boiling the gnocchi in water, we are boiling it in the chicken broth + cream mixture so it is packed with flavor!
what is in this creamy tuscan gnocchi?
- olive oil
- italian style sausage (you can use any kind of meat — I like to use italian style ground turkey!)
- white onion
- chicken broth
- heavy cream
- sun dried tomatoes
- fresh basil
As you probably noticed, this ingredient list is really simple! But combined together it really has such a great flavor. Plus, this whole recipe can be made in one pot. The sausage is cooked down first, then the garlic and onion is added. Once those are cooked down we add the chicken broth, heavy cream, sun dried tomatoes, and gnocchi and cover the pot to let the gnocchi cook completely. Once the gnocchi is cooked, we add parmesan and basil, then top with fresh arugula! That’s it! All in one pot, all in 20 minutes.
If you can’t finish all of the gnocchi in one sitting, it makes great leftovers! Keep it in a sealed/covered container in the fridge for up to a week.
If you love this recipe, check out these dishes!
creamy tuscan gnocchi
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb italian style sausage any kind will work: pork, turkey, etc.
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1/2 large white onion chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes
- 1 16 oz package uncooked gnocchi
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- 1 cup arugula optional
- In a medium to large pot, add olive oil over medium heat. Add italian style sausage and cook until brown, 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and onion and cook until onion is tender, 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, heavy cream and sun dried tomatoes and stir until combined. Add gnocchi, turn heat to low, cover pot and cook until gnocchi is tender, 3-4 minutes.
- When the gnocchi is soft and tender, take off the lid and add parmesan cheese and fresh basil. Stir until combined. Serve and top with fresh arugula (optional). Enjoy!