For day 10 of my “12 days of Christmas Recipes” we are making dill and chive potato salad with lemon dijon sauce! This salad is unlike any potato salad you’ve had before — it’s fresh and vibrant and so flavorful! It will impress any guests at your Christmas dinner.
One big plus of this recipe is that it comes together really quickly! We are using little potatoes that cook way faster than normal sized potatoes. My favorite are from The Little Potato Company. Their little potatoes always come pre-washed and ready to go. The little potatoes only take about 20 minutes to roast in the oven. But, if you want this dish to be even faster, the potatoes can be microwaved, then broiled to get them crispy! That’s my favorite method, especially when I’m in a hurry or have lots of other dishes to prep. Then the rest of the dish only takes about 10 minutes!
Another big plus of this recipe is that it is very versatile. It goes great with Christmas-y dinners, like prime rib or ham. But, it also would be perfect at a summer bbq! I would be thrilled to have it at either occasion. It is nice, though, to have a fresh potato dish like this at a heavier Christmas meal. It is hearty from the potatoes, but is much lighter than most potato dishes.
what ingredients do i need for this dish?
- little potatoes
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- dijon mustard
- maple syrup
- salt & pepper
tips and substitutions
Once the potatoes are hot and roasted, we add them to the spinach while they’re still hot so the spinach will wilt. If you don’t want to use spinach, you can use another green instead! You could use kale or arugula. If you are using kale, I would keep the process the same — add the potatoes to the kale while they’re still hot so it will wilt. If you’re using arugula, I would add it right before serving. I think arugula is best if its kept more fresh!
other recipes from my 12 days of christmas recipes
- whipped feta and hot honey stuffed pears
- wreath cookies
- overnight wheat rolls
- vegan cranberry brown sugar cookies
- cranberry bbq ricotta meatballs
- chocolate peppermint oreo cookies
- brown butter banana nut cinnamon rolls
- chocolate orange pie
dill and chive potato salad with lemon dijon sauce
- 2 lbs little potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh dill
- 1/2 cup fresh chives
- Preheat the oven to broil or 450F. Microwave the little potatoes in a ziploc bag (mostly closed) for 5 minutes, then toss with 2 tbsp olive oil and broil for 5 minutes. Alternatively, don't microwave the potatoes — toss with olive oil, and roast for 20 minutes at 425F. Either way, the potatoes should be fully cooked and slightly browning.
- Put the spinach in a large bowl. Pour the hot potatoes on top of the spinach and toss so the spinach starts to wilt.
- Now, make the dressing. Add olive oil (1/4 cup), lemon juice, dijon mustard, maple syrup, garlic, salt, and pepper to a bowl. Whisk until smooth. Pour the dressing over the potatoes and spinach. Toss to combine.
- Cut the dill and chives into small pieces. Add to the bowl and toss to combine. Enjoy the salad warm or cold!