Welcome to another new series, “turning desserts into brownies,” and to start off, german chocolate brownies! I am so excited for this series. Think of any of your favorite desserts — now imagine them as a brownie / bar! Yum!
To start out, I wanted to do something rich, that fully honored traditional brownies. And I think these german chocolate brownies are the perfect pick. Let’s start by talking about the base. These brownies are thick and so fudgy. I posted a poll on my Instagram asking if you all prefer cakey brownies or fudgy brownies, and fudgy OVERWHELMINGLY won! So here are your fudgy brownies! Also these brownies have brown butter in them, which makes everything better.
Now for the topping: this coconut topping is addicting! To make it, we simply combine evaporated milk, egg yolks, brown sugar, and butter, and bring it to a boil. Once it boils we take off the heat and stir in the coconut!
If you make these, please a review below or post on social media and tag me @ thepalatablelife!
german chocolate brownies
- 1 1/2 cups butter
- 3/4 cup milk chocolate or dark
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 12oz can evaporated milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350. To make the brownies, start by browning your butter — add the butter to a pot or large pan over medium heat. Let the butter melt and begin to bubble. After a couple minutes, it will foam up a lot, then the foaming will subside, and you’ll be left with brown, nutty smelling butter!
- Take off the heat and add chocolate chips, sugar, and brown sugar. stir until the chocolate is melted. Let the mixture cool for several minutes, then add the vanilla, then the eggs one at a time, stirring quickly after adding each one.
- Sift in the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Pour the brownie batter into a greased or lined 9×13 inch pan. Cook at 350 for 38-42 minutes.
- While the brownies are cooling, make the topping. Add the evaporated milk, egg yolks, brown sugar, and butter to a large pan or pot over medium heat. Let it cook until it starts to boil, stirring throughout.
- Once it boils, turn off the heat and add the vanilla and the unsweetened shredded coconut. Let the mixture cool (you can cool it in the fridge if you are in a hurry).
- Once the brownies and the mixture are cool, cut the brownies with a plastic knife and top each one with a scoop of the coconut mixture. If you want you can drizzle some extra melted chocolate on top. Enjoy!