If you love Harry Potter, these Harry Potter Butterbeer sorting hat cookies are for YOU. They incorporate so many elements of Harry Potter, and most importantly they are MAGIC.
Yes, you read that right. But before we get to the magic, let’s talk about the flavor of these cookies. Butterbeer is obviously an important part of Harry Potter, so it was a must for these cookies. We achieve the butterbeer flavor by using a butterscotch pudding mix! This gives a good amount of butterscotch flavor without being overpowering. I use Jello’s instant pudding mix. You can use any brand, but stick to the instant pudding!
Okay now for the magic! These cookies have sorting hat abilities! We gather red, blue, yellow, and green M&M’s. Each color represents Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin, respectively. When we have each dough ball, grab a few M&M’s, of the same color, and shove them into the middle of the dough! Then, when they bake, you can no longer see what color is in each cookie. When you serve them to your guests, they’ll pick a cookie at random, break it open, and see which house they belong to! Magic!
If you make these cookies, share which house you got and tag me (@thepalatablelife) so I can see! When Connor and I grabbed our first cookies, he got Gryffindor and I got Ravenclaw!
If you love these Harry Potter Butterbeer sorting hat cookies, check out these other cookies from this series!
- Gilmore Girls coffee cake cookies
- Wandavision red velvet cookies
- Lion King dirt cup cookies
- Vampire Diaries pancake cookies
harry potter butterbeer sorting hat cookies
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 3.4oz package instant butterscotch pudding mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- m&m's – red, blue, green, & yellow
- Preheat the oven to 350. Cream together the butter, brown sugar and white sugar for a couple minutes. Add the butterscotch pudding mix, eggs, and vanilla, and mix again.
- Add flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Mix until just combined. Add white chocolate chips and mix again.
- Get a scoop of dough, and make a small indent in the dough. Add 4-5 M&M’s of the same color in the indent and wrap the dough around them. Continue with the rest of the dough, using all the colors.
- Bake at 350 for 11-13 min. Let the cookies cool, then see which one you are drawn to and see which house you are in! Enjoy!