These rainbow bagels are perfect for Saint Patrick’s Day! They are soft, obviously colorful, and taste perfect.
As cheesy as can be, but let’s focus on the rainbows this year, instead of the pot of gold at the end! The older I get the more I realize that life is short and it is so important to appreciate the beautiful things in life.
So, to celebrate this, I made these rainbow bagels! Not only are these bagels stunners because of their colors, they are also so soft and yum.
I experimented with my toppings. I tried everything but the bagel seasoning, parmesan, and cinnamon sugar! Not all together, those were all separate, haha. My favorite was the parmesan! And cinnamon sugar was a close second. It also depends what you are going to put on them! The parmesan topping is perfect for bagel sandwiches, and the cinnamon sugar are perfect for anything sweet.
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or honey)
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tsp salt
- food coloring
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp maple syrup (or honey)
- Combine the water, yeast, and maple syrup in a mixer. Let it sit for a couple minutes. Add the flour and salt and mix. Let the dough mix for 7-10 minutes, until the dough is soft and completely combined. Cover the bowl and let the dough rise for 90 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a flat surface. Divide it into the number of colors you are using (I used 5 colors, so 5 sections of dough). Add a couple drops of food color to each section of dough. Knead until the color is just starting to combine, and it has a tie dye look. Repeat with all the colors.
- Cover all the dough and let it rest 30 minutes. Flatten out each section and stack them on top of each other. Cut the dough into 8 pieces. Roll each piece out, twisting it slightly, and shape into a bagel.
- Preheat the oven to 425. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the baking soda and maple syrup. Drop in each bagel and cook for 1 minute on each side.
- Transfer the bagels to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Whisk the egg in a small bowl and brush some on top of each bagel. Top each bagel with your fav topping and bake at 425 for 20 minutes. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply