These tahini chocolate chip cookies may just be my new favorite! They are slightly nutty, full of pools of chocolate, and topped with flakey salt. I think they’ll quickly become your favorite too!
If you are unsure about tahini in your cookies, TRUST ME. The tahini works, and it works really well. It gives these cookies a slight nutty flavor that is incredible and not overbearing! I like to describe them as half way between a chocolate chip cookie and a peanut butter cookie — slightly nutty, but still chocolaty and perfect!
ingredients needed for tahini chocolate chip cookies
- brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- baking soda
what is tahini?
Tahini is liquid gold. Okay but really tahini is a paste made from sesame seeds! Like peanut butter, but with sesame seeds. The most well-known thing that tahini is put in is hummus. But I promise it is delicious in cookies as well! It is nutty and flavorful in the best way.
You can buy tahini at almost any standard grocery store. I often use Trader Joe’s tahini, but Whole Food’s variety is great as well! But use any kind you can find.
chocolate bars vs chocolate chips
If you want your cookies to have the beautiful pools of chocolate on top, the key is using chunks of chocolate instead of chocolate chips! Chocolate chips are designed to hold their shape so they don’t melt in your cookies – makes sense, right? So if you want melty pools of chocolate, you’ve got to use a chocolate that will melt. Enter a chocolate bar. Buy a chocolate bar (not a Hershey’s, please) and chop it up into chunks. Mix it into the dough and reserve a few pieces to put on top of each cookie for a perfect pool of chocolate!
how to get a perfectly round cookie
If you want a perfectly round cookie, I have the secret. You’ll need metal cookie cutters like these. Within a few minutes of pulling your cookies out of the oven, grab a cookie cutter that is larger than your cookies. Place it over a cookie and slowly move the cookie cutter in a circle. After a few strokes, the uneven edges of your cookie will pull in and you’ll be left with a perfectly round cookie!
other recipes you will love
- brown butter chocolate chip cookies
- blueberry muffin cookies
- coffee cake cookies
- snickerdoodle cupcake cookies
tahini chocolate chip cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, cold i use salted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour 325 grams
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chunks
- flaky salt optional
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Add butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar to a bowl. Use a stand or hand mixer to mix the butter and sugars for 3-4 minutes.
- Add tahini, eggs, and vanilla and mix until just combined.
- Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Mix until just combined.
- Add chocolate chunks and use a rubber spatula to fold them into the dough.
- Use a large cookie scoop to scoop out about 1/4 cup of dough per cookie. Transfer up to 6 dough balls to a lined baking sheet. Top each dough ball with a chunk of chocolate and a pinch of flaky salt.
- Bake cookies for 8-9 minutes, until just set. If you want perfectly round cookies, use a large cookie cutter (bigger than the cookie) and within a few minutes of taking the cookies out of the oven, place the cookie cutter over the cookie and move in slow circular motions until the cookie is perfectly round.
- Let the cookies cool and enjoy!
Loved this recipe!! Not overly sweet. I’ve never had tahini cookies before and really enjoyed the nutty flavor.
hi duazong!! so glad you enjoyed these and trusted me on the tahini!!
These are really great! A touch on the sweet side for us, but we seem to have persevered and ate them all anyway. I might use dark chocolate chips next time. We skipped the chocolate on top and added milk chocolate chips in the dough. These cookies came out looking perfect!
hi! i’m so glad you enjoyed these! i love the idea of using dark chocolate chips. sounds delightful!