For day 8 of my “12 Days of Thanksgiving Recipes” we are making a Thanksgiving snack mix! Everyone needs a snack on Thanksgiving and this is the perfect option. Think Chex Mix meets Thanksgiving flavors, and you’ve got this snack mix!
The key to this snack mix is the seasoning. The seasoning is what gives this snack mix its flavor and makes it a thanksgiving snack mix. We are using Trader Joe’s “Everything But the Leftovers” seasoning which is so yum. BUT, if you don’t live near a Trader Joe’s or don’t have the seasoning on hand, I have a copycat recipe for the seasoning that I think is pretty spot on! So you can make this regardless of your Trader Joe’s affiliation.
what ingredients do i need to make this snack mix?
- Chex cereal (rice or corn works best)
- plain crackers
- “everything but the leftovers” seasoning (or my dupe version)
The beautiful thing about this snack mix is you can totally customize it and make it your own. If you hate pretzels, add something else instead! If you love wheat chex, add that. Just stick to the measurements for the mix vs butter vs seasoning, and you’ll be set.
what is in the copycat “everything but the leftovers” seasoning?
If you don’t have a Trader Joe’s near you, or their “everything but the leftovers” seasoning is sold out, I’ve made a copycat version that has a very similar taste! It is all basic spices that you probably already have on hand.
- chicken bouillon (or nutritional yeast + salt)
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- dried sage
- dried rosemary
- dried thyme
- dried parsley
If you want the seasoning to be a fine powder like the Trader Joe’s one is, you can put it through a spice grinder or blender. I didn’t care that there was some texture in mine so I left it how it was.
other recipes from my 12 days of thanksgiving recipes
- cranberry turkey sliders
- butternut squash, kale, and farro salad
- apple cider donuts
- apple, cheese, and hot honey pull apart bread
- pear, apple, and celery salad
- pumpkin stuffed french toast
- maple dijon roasted carrots
thanksgiving snack mix
- 3 cups chex cereal rice or corn
- 3 cups plain crackers like ritz crackers
- 2 cups pretzels
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 heaping tbsp "everything but the leftovers" seasoning * or copycat recipe below
- 1/2 cup craisins
copycat "everything but the leftovers" seasoning
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon or 1 tbsp nutritional yeast + 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dried sage
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 300. In a large bowl, combine, the chex cereal, crackers, pretzels, and pecans.
- Melt the butter and pour it over the snack mixture. Mix until everything is well coated. If using copycat seasoning, add all ingredients to a small bowl and mix.
- Add 1 tbsp of seasoning (trader joe's or homemade) to the snack mix and stir until combined. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for 30 min, shaking the pan every 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes. Add craisins, transfer to a bowl, and enjoy!
Leave a Reply