Continuing my series “cookies inspired by tv shows and movies,” next up is The Sandlot baseball dirt cookies!
There are few movies more classic than The Sandlot, so this movie had to be done. The only thing this cookie is missing is a Babe Ruth signature! But in The Sandlot, the famous baseball spends most of its time in the dirt, so this chocolate dirt cookie just felt right.
The frosting baseball is made of a buttercream frosting. After the frosting is spread on, if you want the baseball to have a smooth look, smooth it over with your hands by gently pressing down on the frosting.
The Sandlot was filmed in my home state, Utah, so it has always had a special place in my heart! And it is just such a classic. It has all the small town summer feels. So next time you are watching The Sandlot, or playing baseball in your backyard, these cookies are the perfect treat.
If you love The Sandlot baseball dirt cookies, check out these other cookies from this series:
- Star Wars Wookiee whoopie pie cookies
- Legally Blonde strawberry chocolate cookies
- Once Upon A Time apple crisp cookies
- Gilmore Girls coffee cake cookies
the sandlot baseball dirt cookies
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- red food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar for 2 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and mix again.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Mix until combined. The dough should be soft, but not too sticky. If it is sticky, add 1 tbsp additions of flour until it is not sticky.
- Using a large cookie scoop (1/4 cup) scoop out the dough onto a lined baking sheet. Bake up to 6 dough balls at a time on a normal sized baking sheet. Bake at 400 for 8-10 minutes.
- While the cookies are cooling, make the frosting. Add the butter to a bowl and mix for 2-3 minutes. Add vanilla and powdered sugar and mix for an additional 2-3 minutes. Add frosting to a piping bag.
- Once cookies are completely cooled, spread frosting on each cookie. If you want the smooth frosting look, let the frosting sit on the cookies for a few minutes then smooth it over with your hands by gently pressing down on the frosting.
- Dye the leftover frosting red and pipe it onto the cookies to look like the baseball stitching. Enjoy!!
Leave a Reply