This Zupas ultimate grilled cheese is the easiest way to elevate your grilled cheese game! If you have been to Zupas, you’ve likely tried their ultimate grilled cheese — it is one of the best things on their menu! Zupas was started in my hometown of Provo, Utah, but they now have locations in 8 different states! But, if you’ve never tried this grilled cheese, or never been to Zupas, let me tell you a little more about it.
We start with large ciabatta rolls and spread a thin layer of pesto on each side. Place a couple slices of cheddar cheese on one side of the bread, and muenster on the other. On either side, add a few thin slices of tomato. Sandwich it together and pan fry each side in butter. If your ciabatta roll is nice and fluffy, you may want to smash the sandwich down with something heavy to help the sandwich cook more evenly, and to make the outside of the sandwich nice and crispy.
This grilled cheese is really simple to make, but the pesto, tomato, and muenster take it to the next level. Muenster isn’t as common a cheese as cheddar, but it is essential for this sandwich. It’s what Zupas uses and I promise you it’s so good.
When I make this sandwich, I love to serve it with a soup or salad. If the weather is cold I go with a soup, if its hot I go with a salad! Here are a few of my favorite soups and salads that would pair perfectly with this Zupas ultimate grilled cheese.
Ciabatta is the best bread to use for this sandwich, but if you cant find ciabatta, you can use a different type of bread. This would also be amaze on sourdough or a multi-grain. Also, there is an age-old debate about what is best to cook a grilled cheese in. I always use butter, but mayo and oil are top contenders as well. I love the flavor and crust that butter creates on the bread, but if you are a mayo or oil fan then you can go with that too.
If you are a grilled cheese stan (like I am), you’ve got to try my other grilled cheese recipes!
zupas ultimate grilled cheese
- 2 large ciabatta rolls
- 3 tbsp pesto
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 slices muenster cheese
- 1 large tomato thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- Open the ciabatta rolls and spread pesto onto both sides.
- Add two slices of cheddar cheese to one side of each sandwich. Add two slices of muenster to the other side.
- Add the thinly sliced tomato to either side of the sandwich. Close each sandwich and spread butter on the outside of the rolls.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Add the sandwich and let it cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until the bread is golden brown. If your ciabatta roll is very large or fluffy, put something heavy on the sandwich (like another pan) to help weigh down the sandwich and cook it evenly.
- Cut in half and enjoy while its warm!