Continuing my series “cookies inspired by tv shows and movies,” next up is the Backyardigans “into the thick of it” cookies! I am convinced that I have peaked. This is it. These cookies are it.
I’m not sure what started the Backyardigans craze, but I am glad it happened. If you are unfamiliar with the craze, the Backyardigans is a kids tv show that has lots of songs, and many of those songs are currently trending on TikTok! Like they are super popular. And for good reason because the songs honestly slap.
Out of all of the trending songs, “Into the Thick of It” is my favorite, so that is how this cookie was born! These are THICK cookies, hence, into the THICK of it. Also, at the end of the episode where Into the Thick of It is sung, the group has pretzels for their after school snack! Do you know what candy pretzels are in? Reese’s Take 5. Do you know how many Backyardigans there are? FIVE. Reese’s Take 5 were the perfect option!
SO, these are thick Take 5 cookies and they are delicious. And these cookies are large. Like Levain Bakery style large. Since they are so large, they need time to set up completely, so they need at least one hour to chill, and I think they are even better the next day. But it is hard to have that kind of patience, so just do what you can!
If you love these Backyardigans “into the thick of it” cookies, check out these other cookies from this series!
- Parks and Rec waffle cookies
- Gilmore Girls coffee cake cookies
- Ginny and Georgia chilled peach pie cookies
backyardigans “into the thick of it” cookies
- 1 cup butter cold and cubed
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp greek yogurt
- 3 cups flour
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup caramel bits
- 1/2 cup peanut butter chips or Reese's pieces
- 1/2 cup pretzels broken into smaller pieces
- Add the cold butter cut into small cubes to a stand mixer with the brown sugar and white sugar. Mix until well combined, about 2 minutes. Add eggs and greek yogurt and mix until just combined.
- Add flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Mix until just combined. Add chocolate chips, caramel bits, pb chips, and pretzels. Pulse the mixer a few times until the mix-ins are incorporated.
- I made very large cookies, but you can of course make them smaller. For large cookies, grab 1/2 cup of dough and form into a cylinder. Grab the top section of dough off and transfer it to the bottom. This gives us the “messy” look on top once the cookie bakes.
- Put all your dough balls on a plate / pan and put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Put up to 6 dough balls on a baking sheet and cook for 7-10 minutes. The outside should be golden brown, but the inside will still be doughy.
- Take out of the oven and let cool on the pan for at least 15 minutes before eating! (in my opinion these are even better the next day!) Enjoy!
This recipe is to die for. My whole fam loves it thanks so much
YAY so glad you & your fam love these!!
These cookies came out a perfect texture and delicious, also very versatile, loved the recipe!
YAY i’m so glad you enjoyed!!