Shakshuka is a Northern Africa / Middle Eastern breakfast dish that is one of my favorites! It is essentially poached eggs cooked in a spiced tomato sauce. And it comes together in less than 15 minutes!
We start by making our spiced tomato sauce that consists of onion, tomatoes, and lots of spices! Then we add the eggs and let them cook until the egg yolks are just starting to set. If you want the runny egg, let them cook for 4-5 minutes. If you don’t like runny eggs, let them cook closer to 10 minutes! I love the runny egg with this dish, but you do you.
Shakshuka is usually served with bread, and I would definitely not skip the bread! It soaks up the tomato sauce and pairs perfectly with this dish.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/2 tbsp garlic
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 14.5oz can tomatoes diced or whole
- 3-4 eggs
- 2 tbsp parmesan
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
- salt and pepper
- Add the olive oil to a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, paprika, and cumin and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes (with the juice). If using whole tomatoes, use a spoon to break them into pieces. Let it cook down for a few minutes.
- Create small craters in the tomato mixture and crack an egg into each one. Cover and let cook for 5-10 minutes, depending on how well done you like your eggs.
- Take off the heat and top with parmesan and cilantro. Enjoy!