Cookies Inspired by TV Shows, Part 1. Stranger Things Eggo Waffle Cookies! I love this series — I love TV shows and I love cookies, so there couldn’t be a better combination for me. For part one, I had to do Stranger Things. It’s one of my favorite TV shows. I mean, how can you beat Steve and Dustin (those are my favorite characters, if you couldn’t tell)?
If you haven’t seen the show, Eleven is obsessed with Eggo waffles. Mike introduces her to them, and she instantly loves them and wants to eat them all the time. I had to incorporate them into a cookie, and ended up with this brown butter cookie with pieces of Eggo waffle mixed in. And, importantly, a drizzle of maple syrup on top! These cookies are big, dense, and delicious. I think these cookies would be Eleven’s favorite dessert!
Stranger Things Eggo Waffle Cookies
- 1 cup brown butter
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups flour
- 4 Eggo waffles
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- Begin by toasting the Eggo waffles. Toast them until they are golden brown and set them aside to cool off.
- Now brown the butter: melt 1 cup butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Let it continue to cook, stirring constantly. Cook for about 7-10 minutes, until the butter foams up and begins to smell nutty. Pour it directly into another container and put it in the freezer for about 20 minutes.
- Once the butter is cold, add it to a mixer with the dark brown sugar. Mix for about 3 minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the greek yogurt, eggs, and vanilla and mix until just combined. Add the cornstarch, baking soda, salt, and flour and mix until just combined.
- Chop the cooled off Eggo waffles into small pieces. You should have about 2 cups. Add the chopped Eggo waffles to the dough and mix until just combined. Chill the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes or the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Using a kitchen scale, scoop out dough until you have 6 ox for each dough ball. Place up to 6 dough balls on a normal sized cookie sheet.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes, until the top of the cookies are light brown. Allow the cookies too cool completely before eating, at least 1 hour (this allows the cookies to completely set up — I promise this step is worth it!!). Right before eating, drizzle your cookie with maple syrup and enjoy!!! And preferably eat them while watching Stranger Things!