japanese souffle pancakes
- 2 eggs divided
- 2 tbsp milk
- splash of vanilla
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- olive oil
- toppings of choice
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks and put each in a separate bowl.
- To the egg yolks, add milk and vanilla and whisk until smooth. Sift in flour and baking powder, and gently whisk together. Set aside.
- To the bowl of egg whites, add vinegar. Using a hand mixer (or stand mixer) start mixing on low speed. When the egg whites start to look foamy, increase the speed to medium and begin to slowly add the sugar. Add a little bit of sugar at a time, while still mixing, until it is all added. Continue to whip the egg whites until glossy stiff peaks form.
- Add a scoop of the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture and carefully fold it in. Add the remaining egg whites and carefully fold in.
- Heat a pan (with a lid) over low heat. Add a drop of olive oil and make sure its spread all over the pan. Add a scoop of batter (about 1/4 cup) and cover the pan with the lid. Let it cook for 1 minute, then add another scoop. Cover again and let it cook for 5-6 minutes, still over low heat.
- Carefully flip the pancake, then cover the pan again. Let it cook on the second side for 4-5 minutes. The pancake should be golden brown on both sides, but very jiggly in the middle!
- Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Leave a Reply